Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Also taken from Andrew Sullivan. I really did expect more from Obama....


A reader writes:

I was a tepid Clinton supporter in the primaries last year and an enthusiastic Obama supporter in the general. I knocked on doors. I wore an Obama t-shirt. I teared up when he won. But now I kind of wish Clinton had gotten the nomination. Not because it wouldn't be more politics as usual - it would - but because at least then we'd all expect it.

My job is to tell it like it is and push for change, not make excuses. Yes, it's too early to write Obama off. A real judgment will be possible as his first term comes to an end. He deserves some lee-way. But he needs to know that we are not eager to acquiesce in our own civil inferiority. We have some self-respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment