Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WTH??

I don't think I will ever be able to understand this point of view. I guess perhaps it is because I have had the strong support of both my parents since I came out to them years ago. My parents have always been very supportive and more than respectful to the guys I have dated.


Maine Rep. Discloses Wrenching "Choice"

Click the byline to view more stories by this author.By Julie Bolcer

Moments ago, during the debate over marriage-equality legislation in Maine, Rep. Sheryl Briggs, a Democrat of Mexico, took the floor to express her opposition to same-sex marriage.
She also revealed that her daughter is a lesbian.
Briggs said that her daughter has been out to her for 15 years, and that she still regards her daughter’s sexual orientation as a choice. The representative tearfully announced that she made her own difficult choice to oppose marriage equality.
“Blame it on my upbringing, or the good book, but the deepest part of my soul tells me that this is wrong,” Briggs said. “I can’t change how I feel. These feelings run very deep. I have kept this secret within me for 15 years, but because of who I am, and where I am today, and as a member of this legislative body, ethically, it is my duty, and my responsibility, to publicly say to my daughter, that I do not support her way of life."
”I have no choice. I have to hit that button,” Briggs said.

No comments:

Post a Comment