Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where is the President's leadership on this (yet another campaign promise)

I have long been a fan of Senator Harkin and I commend him for standing up and taking the lead on this issue. We need more people to do the same. It takes a lot of some to say they were wrong and have now become educated on this issue.


(Washington) Support is slowly growing in Congress for repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, but a bill has yet to be filed in either the House or the Senate.

The latest to support repealing it is Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) one of the original supporters of the measure.
Harkin said he has changed his mind on same-sex marriage.
”We all grow as we get older, we learn things, we become more sensitive to people and people’s lives,” Harkin told Iowa public television.
”The more I’ve looked at that, I’ve grown to think differently about how we should live. I guess I’ve got to the point of live and let live.”
Harkin also said he would oppose any ballot measure to overturn gay marriage in his own state of Iowa where the Supreme Court ruled the state cannot prevent same-sex couples from marrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment